History of 736 Jackson Place
Excerpted from an Historic Structure Report,
completed by the US General Services Administration in 1995.
section traces the history of the construction, occupancy, ownership,
and alterations of 736 Jackson Place.
on the ownership, construction, and alteration of 736 Jackson Place
is scant Cornelia Knower Marcy, for whom the row house was built,
was a private individual who left behind no known archive accessible
to the public despite her husband's life in public service. The
history, therefore, was compiled from indirect sources of information.
The sequence of property owners was derived from a review of tax
assessment records which were updated intermittently after 1819.
Original drawings of the building are not known to exist.
The assigned date of c1870 for the building's construction is based
upon information gleaned from the tax assessment records as substantiated
by published city directories.
of subsequent alterations to 736 Jackson Place
of the 1895 remodeling to the architectural firm of Carrere and
Hastings was based upon a review of building permits 
which were available after 1877, and inspection of the building
itself. Information on the use of the building as a temporary White
House in the summer and fall of 1902 was obtained from contemporary
newspaper accounts. Building permits and directory
listings also provided information on subsequent occupants. The
late nineteenth century appearance of the exterior of 736 Jackson
Place is well documented in several photographs reproduced in this
chapter following the Description of Building as Originally Built
begins with an outline of the ownership of the lot prior to c1870,
when the row house was built. The text proceeds chronologically
to report what is known about the original construction, and subsequent
ownership, occupancy, and alteration. This is followed by biographical
information on significant persons and institutions associated with
the building. Ownership and occupancy are summarized in chart form
following this text. A summary statement of significance concludes
Place  has been associated with the name of
William Learned Marcy (1786-1857) since-1924, when Major Gist Blair
stated that 'William D.[sic] Marcy, Secretary of War under President
Polk" occupied 22 Jackson Place, its original
number. Subsequently, the building has come to be called the Marcy
House. The building's connection with the Jacksonian
Democrat who reportedly coined the phrase "to the victor belongs
the spoils," however, was inaccurate. The house was built for
and occupied by his widow, Cornelia Knower Marcy.
The site of
736 Jackson Place, like its neighbors to the south, was part of
an undeveloped lot owned by the Decatur family until the Civil War,
after William Marcy's death. When the Decatur
property was controlled by the US Army during the Civil War, the
site of 736 Jackson Place was occupied by a temporary structure
called "Clothing Department Warehouse Number 5."
In 1871, the
Decaturs sold their house to General Edward Fitzgerald Beale. Prior
to this, the Decaturs disposed of the lot abutting the southern
edge of their garden. By 1869, this lot, numbered 37, had been sold
to a Lorenzo Sherwood, who sold it to John Knower soon after.
assessment records indicate that a $25,000 improvement, probably construction
of the house, was made to the site by 1869-71l.
Knower apparently purchased and paid taxes-on the lot on behalf of
Marcy's widow, Cornelia-Knower Marcy, with funds from the Marcy estate.
She was listed In city directories as living there from 1871 to 1875.
After Mrs. Marcy's residence there, Knower continued to own the house
until 1887. Occupants during this time Included US Representative
John S. Newberry of Michigan in 1880, and US Senator James G. Blaine
of New York In 1884. US Representative William
L Scott of New York came Into ownership of the house in 1887.
He was listed as Its occupant from 1889 through 1891.
Soon after acquiring the building, Scott had an areaway excavated
and built The project was described in a building permit as being
four feet wide and protected by an iron railing.
Upon his death in 1891, Scott's daughter Mary inherited and occupied
the townhouse with her husband, Richard H. Townsend.
Townsend was President of the Erie and Pittsburgh Railroad.
July, 1895, Mrs. Townsend was granted a permit to add a two-story
rear addition to the house. The addition measured 16 feet wide by
29.5 feet. The project, estimated to cost $12,000, included new
front entrance doors, and unspecified "general repairs,"
followed plans prepared by the architectural firm of Carrere and
Hastings. Although plans accompanying the
permit are not known to have survived, the general repairs appear
to have included, at a minimum, replacement of the main staircase
and parlor mantelpieces, possibly requiring limited reconfiguration
of the first floor interior spaces. The rear addition appears to
have contained a ballroom. Later that year,
the heating system appears to have been reworked.
was one of several residents who chose to relocate from Lafayette
Square at the turn of the twentieth century to the more fashionable
Dupont Circle. In a move that made her property more marketable,
she successfully petitioned the US Government in 1898 for permission
to acquire a small plot of land in the rear of the townhouse previously
used as a public alley. Three years later,
she and her husband moved to a house on Massachusetts Avenue, newly
remodeled by Carrere and Hastings.
most famous occupant of 736 Jackson Place was its next resident, President
The most famous
occupant of 736 Jackson Place was its next resident, President Theodore
Roosevelt and his family, during the 1902 renovation of the White
House following the plans of McKim Mead and White. In late June,
Mrs. Townsend rented the house for "four months or more if
needed to be used as a residence and for executive offices"
of the President, and furniture from the White
House was moved across Pennsylvania Avenue for the duration. The
Roosevelt family was away from Washington during the White House
a few nights there in July, Roosevelt spent the rest of the summer
with his family in Oyster Bay, New York, and prepared for a trip
to the western United States scheduled for September and early October.
The tour was abruptly canceled soon after its start following a
streetcar accident in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. The accident resulted
in the death of the Secret Service agent accompanying the President
and the fracture of one of Roosevelt's shins. The President returned
to Washington, where confined at first to bed and later to a wheelchair,
he transacted executive business, held Cabinet meetings, and received
visitors at the Townsend house through the end of October. As summarized
in a contemporary account in the New York Times, "He [Roosevelt]
slept in it [736 Jackson Place] a few night [sic] before going to
Oyster Bay for the Summer, and returned to it when his Western journey
was abandoned on account of the injury to his leg from the Pittsfield
trolley accident. Mrs. Roosevelt and the children have spent even
less time there than the President.
Place was the scene of at least one event of national significance
during this period. In 1902, a strike in the
anthracite coal fields of Pennsylvania, upon which the people of
the eastern United States were dependent for fuel, threatened to
drag on Into the winter months. Roosevelt who demanded a "square
deal" toward labor as well as capital but supported the open
shop, summoned a conference of mine-owners and union leaders on
October 3 held In the front room of the second floor. At the meeting,
according to historian Samuel Eliot Morison:
offered to arbitrate, the owners refused, and urged the President
to break the strike with the army as [President] Cleveland might
have done. Roosevelt merely published the results of the conference,
and public indignation then compelled the owners to submit to arbitration
by a presidential commission. The episode not only strengthened
his popularity, it taught him to use public opinion as a whip for
recalcitrant congressmen no less than for captains of industry.
owned the property until 1918 or 1919, with no documented alterations
to the townhouse apart from routine maintenance. In 1908, a contractor
named George J. Hughes was hired to "clean down, oil and pencil,"
the east facade. A private garage was erected
on the site in 1914 for the Minister of the Netherlands to the United
States, who probably occupied the townhouse at the time.
Women's City Club of Washington purchased and occupied the townhouse
around 1919. Alterations initiated by the Club were primarily planned
in the rear additions, which are no longer extant.
In 1929 the
Club filed plans for the addition of a sun porch, designed by architect
C. L. Harding, on the roof of the rear addition of 1895.
1944, the Club sold the building and vacated the premises.
The new owner, the National Lutheran Council of the United Lutheran
Church of America, embarked upon bringing the building up to code
as an office building during the 1940s. The
Council occupied Its building for little more than a decade. In
1955, the property was offered for sale. As described in a real-estate
listing, the 29-room office building of 10,000 square feet (exclusive
of halls), remodeled In accordance with the District's requirements
of 1948, was equipped with steel doors and florescent lighting throughout.
In August, 1956, the council sold the historic but extensively renovated
property "to a group of out of town investors" with no
definite plans for the Its use, as reported by the Washington Post.
January, 1957, 736 Jackson Place was acquired by the Federal Government
by eminent domain from Ralph Gedney in preparation for the construction
of Federal Office Building Number 7. The building
was then vacant and had been slated for demolition for a private office
development with 730 and 734 Jackson Place according to newspaper
accounts. The rear additions were removed by
William Learned Marcy
William Learned Marcy (no dates), nee Cornellia Knower, was born in
Guilderland, New York, the daughter of Benjamin Knower, a hatter.
In 1824, she married Marcy, a lawyer and member of the Albany Regency.
Marcy later served as a US Senator (1831-1832), Governor of New York,
member of the Mexican Claims Commission (1841-1842), Secretary of
War In the Polk administration (1844-1848) and Secretary of State
in the Pierce' administration (1853-1857). Marcy's career Is best
remembered for a speech given on the Senate floor. Defending his nomination
of Martin Van Buren as Minister to England, he stated "to the
victor belong the spoils of the enemy," from which the phrase
"spoils system" came to be used to describe the distribution
of political office on party grounds.
John Storm Newberry
Representative John Storm Newberry (1826-1887) of Michigan was born
in New York and graduated from the University of Michigan (1847).
After beginning a career as a civil engineer with the Michigan Central
Railroad (1848-1851), he was admitted to the Michigan bar in 1853.
Newberry was married twice, to Harriet Robinson in 1855 and Helen
Handy in 1859, and served as Provost Marshall of Michigan (1862-64).
In 1863, he founded and became president of the Michigan Car Company,
makers of railroad cars (1863-1880). Together with James McMillin,
he helped organize the Detroit, Mackinac and Marquette Railroads in
1878. Representative Newberry resided at 736 Jackson Place in 1880
during his single term in Congress (1879-1881).
Gillespie Blaine (1830-1893), Republican Presidential candidate
in 1884 and a major figure in national politics in the post-Civil
War period, was born in West Brownsville, Pennsylvania. After graduating
at an unusually young age from Washington College (1847), Blaine
taught school (1848-54), studied law and married Harriet Stanwood
of Maine before becoming editor of the Kennebec Journal, published
in Augusta, Maine (1854-57). He soon became known in the Maine political
scene and assumed a leadership role in the Republican Party in the
1850s. Before the age of thirty, he was the Maine delegate to the
first national Republican Party convention in 1856, and Chairman
of the Executive Committee of the Republican organization of Maine
prior to the Civil War.
appointment as State Commissioner of Prisons and Reformatories,
his first public office, Blaine was a member of the Maine legislature
(1859-1862) and speaker (1861-62). He served in Congress (1862-1876)
and was Speaker of the House (1869-76). The "Mulligan letters"
(1876), which accused Blaine of using his position as Speaker for
personal gain by giving a land grant to the Little Rock and FL Smith
R.R. Company, dashed his hopes for the Presidential nomination that
year. Returning to Maine, he served In the State Senate until 1880,
but again failed to secure the nomination. Appointed Secretary of
State by President Garfield in 1881, Blaine planned the first Pan-American
Conference (which was not held until 1889), and proposed to Great
Britain a modification of the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty.
In 1884, while
residing at 736 Jackson Place, Blaine headed the Republican ticket
for President in his unsuccessful bid. His defeat was attributed
in no small part to an indiscreet remark by one of his supporters
to the Democratic party as the party of "Rum, Romanism and
Rebellion," which probably lost him the critical state of New
York. The campaign also marked the first return of a Democratic
candidate, Grover Cleveland, to the White House since the Civil
the election, he resumed work on his autobiography titled Twenty
Years In Congress. Having supported Benjamin Harrison in the election
of 1888, he again served as Secretary of State (1889-92), during
which time he settled the Bering Sea dispute with Great Britain,
and favored Hawaiian annexation. He died in Washington, DC in 1893.
Representative William Scott (1828-1891) of New York was born In Washington,
DC By 1851, he was a partner in the coal firm of John Hearn and Company.
His early business interests included iron works and coal mines in
Pennsylvania, Missouri, Illinois and Iowa. Scott opened the Erie and
Pittsburgh Railroads In 1861 and a decade later formed the W. L. Scott
Company, which played a major role in the extension of the Chicago,
Rock Island and Pacific Railroads from central Iowa to the Missouri
River. He also helped to organize the first elevated train in New
York City and later founded the New York, Philadelphia and Norfolk
Railroads. He was Mayor of Erie, Pennsylvania (1866-1876) and a two-term
member of Congress (1885-89). He resided at 736 Jackson Place during
his second term, and subsequently appears to have shared the house
with his daughter, Mrs. Richard H. Townsend.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), the 26th President of the United
States, occupied 736 Jackson Place during the summer of 1902. Having
distinguished himself in public service at a young age in New York
as US Civil Service Commissioner (1889-1895) and president of the
City Board of Police Commissioners (1895-97), he resigned his position
as Assistant Secretary of the Navy (1897-98) during the Spanish-American
War to organize with Leonard Wood, the 1st Volunteer Cavalry ("Rough
Riders"), and as its colonel, led the famous charge up San
Juan Hill. Elected Governor of New York (1898), his reform administration
alarmed political boss T. C. Platt, who arranged to have him removed
from the state to run as the Vice Presidential candidate with William
McKinley an the Republican ticket in 1900.
President in 1901, at the age of 42, upon the assassination of President
McKinley. At the time he occupied 736 Jackson Place, President Roosevelt
had not yet earned his reputation as a "trust buster"
who distinguished between good and bad trusts and championed "the
little man." His action in settling the national coal strike
from his temporary office in 736 Jackson Place boosted his popularity
and contributed to his decisive reelection in 1904. The accomplishments
of his administration included sponsorship of the conservation of
national resources, and food inspection and railroad rate legislation.
Roosevelt increased the powers of the Presidency by decisive actions,
and expanded the prestige and the influence of the United States
in Its foreign relations, for which his watchwords were "Walk
Softly and Carry a Big Stick." He secured the right to construct
the Panama Canal. Roosevelt supported the "Open Door"
policy, a series of declarations by powers interested in trade with
China, which served to preserve Chinese territorial and administrative
Integrity. He was awarded the Nobel Peace prize for his intervention
In the Russo-Japanese War.
William Howard Taft, his Secretary of War, as his successor, but
split with the Republican party in the election of 1912 to run again
on the "Bull-Moose" ticket, resulting in the election
of Woodrow Wilson.
Place was leased to the Government for the use of the President,
his wife and six children while the White House was undergoing Its
first major renovation since it was rebuilt after burning by the
British In 1814. Roosevelt commissioned the architectural firm of
McKim, Mead and White to make the necessary changes, including replacing
Victorian period features with Beaux-Arts classicism. Concurrently,
The McMillan Plan, which recommended the redevelopment of Lafayette
Square, was developed during his administration.
and Mrs. Richard H. Townsend
H. Townsend (no dates), nee Mary Scott, daughter of William L Scott,
inherited the house in 1891 and owned it until 1919. A prominent
Washington socialite, she commissioned a major renovation and enlargement
of the building during her ownership and rented the building to
the US Government for use as a temporary executive mansion in 1902.
During her ownership, 736 Jackson Place was renovated, and the property
was used as the temporary White House for President Theodore Roosevelt.
Townsend, president of the Erie and Pittsburgh Railroad, occupied
the house with his wife from 1891 until 1901.
Woman's City Club was a consortium of women's clubs founded around
1919 for business and professional women and women of leisure, including
resident and congressional women.
Hastings, an architectural firm formed in 1884, designed the interior
renovation of 736 Jackson Place in 1895. John Mervin Carrere (1858-191
1) and Thomas Hastings (1860-1929) were both graduates of the Ecole
des Beaux-Arts in Paris who worked as draftsmen In the New York
office of McKim, Mead & White before beginning their partnership.
The earliest commissions of their practice were a series of buildings
designed Henry M. Flagler, a developer active in St. Augustine,
Florida in the late 1880s. These projects included the Hotel Ponce
de Leon, the Alcazar Hotel, and the Flagler Memorial Presbyterian
Church, each completed before 1890 in a modified Spanish Renaissance
New York in 1887 to establish a home office, the firm distinguished
itself from its competition with a distinctive classical vocabulary
derivative of French, especially Parisian, forms. The firm's work
during this period included the Congregational Church in Providence,
RI (1891), the Hotel Laurel-in-the-Pines, Lakewood, NJ (1891), and
the neoclassical "Life" Building in New York (1893-94).
Examples of their residential design executed around the time of
the remodeling of 736 Jackson Place were townhouses for Dr. Christian
A. Herter at 817 Madison Avenue (1892), Mr. and Mrs. Richard M.
Hoe at 11 East 71st Street (I892), and Henry T. Sloane at 9 East
72nd Street (1896), all in New York. The latter is regarded as one
of the firm's finest townhouses in the French neoclassical mode.
subsequently retained the firm in 1902 to remodel an earlier house
at 2121 Massachusetts Avenue, NW when they moved from Jackson Place
to Dupont Circle. Other later residential
commissions by the firm included New York townhouses for Mary D.
Dunham (1901), John H. Hammond (1903), George and Sarah Rives (1908).
Samuel H. Valentine (1909) and William Starr Miller (1914), the
neo-Georgian manor for Hon. Elihu Root at 733 Park Avenue, NY (1903),
the Murray Guggenheim residence In Elberon, NJ (1903), and the William
K Vanderbilt estate at Great Neck, NY (1907), the Henry Clay Frick
residence in New York (1914). The W. R. Caste, Jr. House at 2200
S Street NW (1929) and the David A. Reed House at 2222 S Street
NW (1929), both executed in Washington in a modified English Regency
style, are among the last projects of the firm.
stature within the profession rapidly grew after the turn of the
century following the appointment of Carrere as Chief Architect
and Chairman of the Board of Architects for the Pan American Exposition
at Buffalo in 1901. By 1899, Carrere and Hastings had established
an office In Washington. Major commissions for public buildings
included additions and alterations to the stair hall outside the
old Library of Congress in the Capitol (1901), the House and Senate
Office Buildings near the Capitol (1905-08), and the Carnegie Institution
of Washington at 1530 P Street NW (1908).
Outside Washington, major public buildings included Richmond Borough
Hall (1906) and County Court House (1913-1919), Staten Island, NY,
and the New York Public Library (completed 1913), the design of
which was awarded on the basis of a competition.
untimely death in an automobile accident, the firm continued to
receive important international commissions, including the Bank
of Mexico in Mexico City, the John Paul Jones Monument in West Potomac
Park (1912), Grand Army Plaza on Fifth Avenue, NY (1912), the Hold
Washington at 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue (1917-18), the
Victory Arch in Madison Square, NY, the American Marne Monument
in Paris, the McKinley Monument in Buffalo, NY, the National Amphitheater
in Arlington Cemetery (1920), and the Devonshire House, an apartment
complex, in London (1928, with G. H. Reilly).
Lowell Harding (1872-?), a former partner in the short-lived firm
of Harding and Upman, was the architect of renovation work in 1929
for the Women's City Club. Harding was born in Binghamton, New York,
and moved to Washington in his youth. After graduating from Washington
and Central High School in 1890, Harding embarked upon a career in
architecture, apparently without any formal training, designing small
projects for his father, a local builder. His documented work included:
the Landmore Apartment Building at 1133 24th Street N.W. (c1901);
Woodward Apartments (1909-1910) at 2311 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.;
the Hurley-Wright Building (c1919); a factory for E. W. Woodruff at
639 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. (no date); a residence for W.P. Manning,
1511 Rhode Island Avenue, N.W. (no date); an apartment building at
1631 19th Street, N.W. (no date); City Hall in Martinsburg, Virginia
(no date); and the Mather Building, 916-18 G Street, N.W. (no date).
Leisenring (1875-1965) was the architect of the 1948 office renovation
for the Lutheran Council, who later authored an article "Lament
for Lafayette Square," AIA Journal, February, 1961. The article
is believed to have influenced President Kennedy in intervening
to save the Jackson Place townhouses. Leisendng was born in Lutherville,
Maryland, and attended the Polytechnic Institute In Baltimore and
the University of Pennsylvania. He received his early training in
the offices of E. G. Lind in Baltimore, John T. Windrim In Philadelphia,
Keen and Mead in Philadelphia, and in three Now York City firms:
Charles A. Platt; Hornblower and Marshall, and Cass Gilbert. Noted
as a practitioner in the modified neoclassical style, Leisenring's
major work included: the New National Museum of the Smithsonian
(1905-08, wfth, Hornblower and Marshall), the Court of Appeals in
Washington, (1908); the power house for the Capitol Building (1908);
Trinity Lutheran Church, Charleston, West Virginia (1919), Trinity
Lutheran Church, Dundalk, Maryland (1920); the Lutheran Church of
the Incarnation in Washington (1922); and restorations of Bellefield
at Croom, Maryland, and Tulip Hill in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Leisenring was active in many professional and civic organizations,
including the Society of Architectural Historians and the Thorton
Society, an organization that fostered interest In protecting architectural
monuments in the District.
the debate over the future of the row house in the late 1950s and
early 1960s, the cohesive scale, texture, use of materials, colors,
voids and rhythm, were recognized. These attributes served as the
basis of the National Register nomination, when the row house was
listed as a contributing element within the Lafayette Square Historic
District, a significant urban landscape that was shaped by both
intentional design and historical accident.
Place, the Marcy/Townsend house, is a palimpsest rich in historical
and architectural associations. The house was occupied by James
G. Blaine in 1384 during his unsuccessful Presidential campaign.
The original ltalianate row house was skillfully reworked to the
designs of the prominent firm of Carrere and Hastings in 1895. These
renovated interiors were subsequently occupied by President Theodore
Roosevelt in 1902 when the White House was remodeled. During his
brief occupancy, the house was the scene of an important meeting
during the 1902 coal strike between the owners and organized labor,
which boosted the President's popularity. The architectural character
of 736 Jackson Place from this period is well preserved today.
Since the 1960s,
the rehabilitation of 736 Jackson Place row house can be seen as
having acquired additional significance. The rehabilitation was
part of a project that marked an important and clearly recognizable
change in federal policy toward contextual urban design and the
appreciation and preservation of non-monumental building stock.
In retrospect, the methodological approach pioneered in the project
appears to have contributed to the philosophical underpinning of
the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation, which
have been widely applied in public and private sector construction
projects since that time. Moreover, the project established a precedent
for subsequent examples of "facadism," both positive and
negative, where existing exterior elements were selectively preserved
and re-used as features in new construction.
For Square 167, General Assessments were made in the years 1819,
1824, 1844, 1854, 1859, 1869, 1869-71, 1872-73, 1878-79, 1886-87,1889-90,
1902-03, 1908-09, 1917-18,1923-24, and yearly thereafter through
19M. These records are located at the National Archives, Washington,
The construction of the building predates 1877, when building permits
were first required in the District of Columbia. Drawings accompanying
the permit for alteration work in the 18ws, d any were submitted,
have not been retained at the National Archives.
Boyd's Directory of the District of Columbia, Washington, D.C. Available
editions for the years 1861 through 1966 were reviewed.
Building Division, District of Columbia, Building Permits, 2/17/1877
through 9/7/1949. All permits pertaining to 708 Jackson Place were
reviewed. These records are located in the National Archives, Records
of the D.C. Government, Record Group 351.
Clippings of articles concerning this event, as reported in many
unindexed contemporary newspapers, were reviewed in the Washingtoniana
Collection of the Martin Luther King Library, Washington, D.C.
Listed as "# 726-razed" in King.
7 Blair, p. 164.
Mrs. L. King, p. 19, Scott and Lee, p. 160.
9 This lot was numbered 37 in the original lot system. According
to the General Assessments, the lot was in Stephen Decatur's name
in 1819 and 1824, and in Susan Decatur's name thereafter until 1864.
Clothing Department Warehouses, 1864. [item 23, NA-RG92]
John Knower's purchase was made as early as 1869, but no later than
1871. District of Columbia, General Assessments 1864 and 1869. Knower's
name is pencilled in next to Sherwood's in the 1869 entry for an
General Assessments, 1869-71.
A published account of the building when it was used as the temporary
White House in 1902 noted that the house had been 'built for Mrs.
Marcy, widow of William 1. Marcy. The Churchman, June 19, 1903.
Boyd's, 1871 through 1875. The 1871 edition lists her at '720 Jackson
Place,' which is probably a typographical error.
Boyd's, 1880, 1884.
16 General Assessments, 18W-87 and 1889-90 list Knower and Scott,
respectively, as the owners.
The location of the areaway, estimated to cost $100, was not ldenffied,
and the existing building was not described in the permit [District
of Columbia] Inspector of Buildings, Permit for Repair, Alterations,
etc., No. 1196, November 28, 1887.
The directories list W. M. M. Townsend at 20 Lafayette Square in
1892, and Richard Townsend thereafter through 1899. Boyd's, 1892
[District of Columbia] Inspector of Buildings, Permit for Repair,
Alterations, etc., No. 55, July 10, 1895.
When the building was later sold to the Woman's City Club, it was
described as having an existing 'auditorium which will accommodate
several hundred and which is also obtainable for dances and balls....'
Woman's City Club Plans for Addition, undated clipping from
unidentified Washington newspaper, [c1919]. [MLK-Washl
A permit for a vault, measuring 12'0' by 8'6', 7 feet deep, to be
constructed in 25 foot alley near lot 37, and accompanied by a letter
of consent from neighbor Charles C. Glover, was subsequently granted.
[District of Columbia] Inspector of Buildings, Special Permit for
Projection beyond the Building Line, No number, November 30, 1895.
The plot, measuring 25 x 50 feet, filled in the northwest comer
of the Townsend property. It had earlier been platted as the south
branch of the rear alley entered from Pennsylvania Avenue which
was ordered closed by the Board of Public Works on December 12,
1873. Arguing that her property had enjoyed the uninterrupted use
of the plot for nearly 25 years, the petition raised the issue of
ownership of the District's alleys. House of Representatives, 55th
Congress, 2d Session. Report No. 747 (to accompany H.R. 9035), March
The temporary Executive mansion in Washington, unidentified
clipping June 2 1902. [MLK- Wash]
Back to the Old White House: Temporary Executive mansion in Jackson
Place, Washington, Abandoned by President, The New York Times,
November 2, 1902.
Recounted in White House Repairs and a Sit of Local History,
clipping from unintelligible Washington newspaper, June 23, 1926
[MLK-Wash], Jean White, Jackson Place Served as Site for Temporary
White House, Washington Post and Evening Telegram, March 11,
Morison, p. 819.
Permit Number 62508, June 28, 1908. The project was estimated to
Permit was for a 'Steel-Cole' garage costing $150. PermitNumber
241914, February 4, 1914.
On acquiring the building, the Club immediately began discussing
plans for a new addition at the rear to house a larger auditorium,
gymnasium, swimming pool and bowing alley. 'Women's City Club Plans
for Addition,' undated clipping from unidentified Washington newspaper,
[cl9l9] [MLK-Wash]. These plans appear to have been abandoned, for
no building permits were recorded for such work.
31 Building Division, District of Columbia. Permit
to Repair, No. 126892, September 4, 1929. A related permit identified
additional unspecified 'minor non-structural alterations,' and 'cut
certain openings in interior and exterior brick walls in premises
(no party walls).' Building Division, District of Columbia. Permit
to Repair, No. 126892, September 4, 1929. Both permits were accompanied
by plans. The total project, estimated to cost $4,000, was to be
built by W. E. Mooney.
Richard B. Morris, Encyclopedia of American History, New York, 1953
32 'Acquired by Lutheran Missions Group,' Washington Post, February
Department of Building Inspection, District of Columbia. Permit
to Install Plumbing, Number 26W92, February 8, 1944; Repair Permit,
Number 306556, May 13, 1948, 'to enclose stairways and fire proof
building necessary to make existing building into office building
as per plans' by architect L Morris Leisenring, Repair Permit, Number
309375, July 2-2, 1948, to repair vault for boiler and install new
Misc. Permit, Number 309640, July 28, 1948, 'to extend existing
fire escape on 2nd and 3rd floors." 736 Jackson Place N.W.,'
Washington Star, November 5, 1955.
Lutherans Sell Historic House, Washington Post, August 16,
GSA News Release, GSA-545, January 30, 1957 [NA, RG 66, Box 41
Old and New, Washington Star, March 7, 1957, Jean White
Threat of Change looms over Lafayette Square, Washington
Post, March 9, 1957, p. A8.
Plans for Addition, undated clipping from unidentified Washington
newspaper, [cl 91 91 [MLK- Wash].
Willensky and White, pp. 369-370.
Scott and Lee, pp. 331-332.
Scott and Lee, pp. 357.
Scott and Lee, pp. 135, 302.
Scott and Lee, pp. 47, 51, 122-123, 132, 174, and 307
"Leisering, Luther Morris, F.A.I.A., Washington, D.C.,"
typescript, no date. [AIA Archives]